We’ve all got a foodie in our family. Someone fascinated with flavour, who’s always on the lookout for the best new recipes. These are usually easy to buy for. You can never go wrong with a cookbook or new apron. But why not push the boat out this Christmas?
Buy them something memorable and unique – something which is sure to bring their food to life and enhance their cooking. SkapEti Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a gift that does exactly that. Using handpicked olives from our single-estate olive farm, we guarantee one impeccable taste in every single bottle.
All our bottles are unfiltered and produced in exactly the same way. What does this mean? Well, when olive oil is unfiltered you’re not only guaranteed a rich and silky texture, but you also lock in all of the nutritious goodness. Mainstream olive oil brands have been known to blend olives, which leaves an unfulfilling taste that misses out on the unique natural benefits of olive oil in its purest form. You can learn more about how our oil is grown, harvested and what makes it unique, here.
Both our Premium and Organic bottles of Extra Virgin Olive Oil are a great Christmas gift for the foodie in your life. If you can’t make up your mind, then why not treat them to both. SkapEti is a luxury taste like no other. It’s authentic Greek flavour that makes every dish that little bit more special.
Here’s something you never thought would go well with Extra Virgin Olive Oil – chocolate!
Chocolate Olive Oil Mousse recipe
It’s hard to say no to chocolate mousse. These small pots of rich chocolatey flavour are the perfect pudding for the Christmas period. Relatively quick and easy to make, these give you more time to focus on the showstopper dishes. You can also freeze them which is always a huge help at Christmas. Our olive oil brings a smooth and soft texture to a simple but delicious dish.
- 150g/5½oz dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, roughly chopped
- 100ml/3½fl oz SkapEti Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 large free-range eggs, at room temperature, separated
- ¼ tsp sea salt flakes, plus a pinch
- 50g/1¾oz caster sugar
- Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or in a large heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water (but not touching the water), make sure you remove it from the heat before it is completely melted, then stir it gently so that the last pieces of chocolate dissolve. Leave to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the oil and set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of sea salt flakes in a grease-free bowl until you have firm peaks. Set aside.
- Whisk the yolks, sugar and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt flakes in a separate large bowl until pale, thick and about doubled in volume.
- Gradually pour the chocolate-oil mixture into the beaten yolks and fold to mix completely. Add a third of the beaten egg whites and fold in vigorously to lighten the mixture.
- Now gently fold in another third of the egg whites and, when that second lot is incorporated, fold in the final third leaving behind any liquid at the bottom of the bowl of whites. No white streaks should be visible.
- Gently spoon the mousse into your ramekins or cups. To get the right texture – soft and satiny, rather than set like a more traditional mousse – you can either refrigerate for 20 minutes then eat straight away, or for an hour and then take out to come to room temperature for 40 minutes before eating.